Allison Scott

What Scholarships Are Right For You
and How Do You Apply For Them?

by Allison Scott – Director, Financial Aid

High school seniors all across North Carolina are beginning to think about applying to college. These seniors need to also think about applying for scholarships at the same time. Below is a list of tips that you can give to students. Tips for applying for scholarships:Students in the library

1. Check the college you will be attending- Each college will have institutional funds for scholarships.
  2. Community connections- Churches, temples, Rotary/AmVets/Legion clubs are all great places to start.
  3. Places of employment- Does your employer offer scholarships?
  4. The internet- Mapping Your Future is a great place to start, with many different external scholarship resources.
  5. Don’t procrastinate- Prepare your essays ahead of time and think about what sets you apart from other applicants.

You can also remind your students that community colleges are a good way to save on the cost of college.

Why I Chose Rowan-Cabarrus and Where It Led Me

by Markala Tucker – Rowan-Cabarrus, Class of 2019

Markala TuckerMarkala Tucker found her way to Rowan-Cabarrus Community College as a high school student who had relocated to North Carolina from Virginia and felt out of place in her new surroundings. Her counselor connected her with Rowan-Cabarrus through the Career & College Promise program, and she didn’t think twice about enrolling after high school. She had found an environment where she could be herself and thrive.

As a transfer student at Rowan-Cabarrus, Markala immersed herself in campus life, serving as a Student Ambassador and forming strong relationships along the way. She represented the college in a variety of ways, including speaking to state legislators about the importance of community college funding priorities.

Markala graduated in May of 2019 with an associate degree in business administration and marketing and is now enrolled at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte to complete her bachelor’s degree.

“Rowan-Cabarrus met me where I was and helped me learn to be my own biggest fan and run my own race,” she said. “I have never been around people who cared so much about my success, and it felt so good to have people rooting for me. I could not think of a better place to begin my college career and prepare for the next steps to come.”