Distance Education

Complaint Resolution

In compliance with Federal and State regulations, an institution offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student’s state. If an issue cannot be resolved through the grievance procedures, a student who resides outside of the State of North Carolina may file a complaint with their state of residence. Access the Out-of-State Agency Directory and the State Portal Entity Liaisons.

Rowan-Cabarrus Complaint Resolution Process

While Rowan-Cabarrus strives to provide high quality education and interactions, on occasion conflicts may arise. The college expects that most issues (such as those related service, classroom, technology or facilities) will be resolved informally through a discussion between the student and the appropriate faculty or staff member. Rowan-Cabarrus has established specific procedures for certain specific complaints. For example, formal complaints regarding grades are subject to the Grade Appeal Procedure; complaints regarding discrimination are subject to the Student Grievance policy. Students will be expected to initiate their concerns or express their concern in accordance with those specific policies. Formal complaint procedures and forms are listed by the Office of Civility.

State Post-Secondary Education Complaints

The Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina General Administration serves as the official state entity to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, they can review the Student Complaint Policy, print out and complete the Student Complaint Form and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

For more information, call 919-962-4550 or studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu.

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s website.
North Carolina residents may call 877-566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call 919-716-6000. En Espanol 919-716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:
Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

SACSCOC Student Complaint Process

If the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), the regional accrediting agency for Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. SACSCOC has authorized Rowan-Cabarrus to offer certificates, diplomas, and associate’s degrees. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

Telephone: 404.679.4500
Website: www.sacscoc.org

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for North Carolina. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF). SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

T: (855) SARA-1-NC (855.727.2162)
T: 919.549.8614, ext. 4667

Website: SARANC
Email Address: information@saranc.org