Institutional Research & Effectiveness
SACSCOC Frequently Asked Questions
What is SACSCOC?
SACSCOC is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. SACSCOC is one of six regional accrediting associations in the United States, and is responsible for accrediting colleges in eleven Southeastern states (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia) and in Latin America. Its membership consists of around 1200 colleges and universities.
What does SACSCOC do?
SACSCOC is responsible for the accreditation of public and private colleges and universities in the Southeast and in Latin America.
What does accreditation mean?
Accreditation by SACSCOC means that a college or university:
- Has a mission appropriate to higher education,
- Has resources, programs, and services sufficient to accomplish and sustain that mission, and
- Maintains clearly specified educational objectives that are consistent with its mission and appropriate to the degrees it offers and that indicate whether it is successful in achieving its stated objectives.
Why is accreditation important?
Accreditation ensures that:
- Students have creditable coursework when they leave the college
- Students have access to federally-subsidized financial aid
- Graduates of the college have completed a high-quality program, making them more valuable to employers
- Faculty of a college can apply for federal grants
Is Rowan-Cabarrus accredited by SACSCOC?
Yes, Rowan-Cabarrus is accredited by SACSCOC. The last re-accreditation of Rowan-Cabarrus was started in 2010 and completed in 2016.
How long is a college accredited?
Colleges are re-accredited for 10 years.
When does Rowan-Cabarrus have to be re-accredited?
Since the last re-accreditation of RCCC in 2016, the college is due for re-accreditation in 2026.
What does Rowan-Cabarrus have to do to be reaccredited?
Rowan-Cabarrus has to:
- Submit a Compliance Certification Report, which tells how the college is in compliance with all of the SACSCOC and Federal standards.
- Submit a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), which is a major improvement project that the college will perform over the next 5 years that will address improving student learning and engagement.
- Be visited by an on-site visiting committee that will confirm what is in the Compliance Certification Report and the Quality Enhancement Plan.
What are the accrediting standards?
The SACSCOC accrediting standards are in the Principles of Accreditation: Foundation for Quality Enhancement, 2012 edition.
What is the Rowan-Cabarrus Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)?
Rowan-Cabarrus’ Quality Enhancement Plan is called “Plan Your Path: Build Career Connections” and is focused on helping students plan their career goals while building career connections through seminars, online resources, co-ops, and service learning that will support career experiences and placement.
When does the reaccreditation take place?
There are three important dates for Rowan-Cabarrus’ reaccreditation:
- The Compliance Certification Report and the Quality Enhancement Plan will be submitted in March 2025
- The On-Site Visiting Committee will visit our campuses in 2025
- The decision on Rowan-Cabarrus’ re-accreditation will be made in 2026
Where can I find out more information about reaccreditation?
For more information on SACSCOC and accreditation, visit the SACSCOC website.