Jake Williams

City of Concord Fire Chief

City of Concord Fire Chief Jake Williams enrolled at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College right out of high school, already knowing he wanted to spend his career in fire service. “Rowan-Cabarrus is a fantastic community college where the staff is always willing to take time to listen and help guide you to success. I chose this career path because I enjoyed working with a diverse group of people and being part of a team in school. I volunteered at my local department and fell in love with the fire service. Responding to emergencies and helping someone in their time of need had a huge impact on my decision.”

After earning his associate degree in Fire Protection Technology, Williams went on to complete his Bachelor of Science in Fire Administration Management at Fayetteville State University and still enrolls at Rowan-Cabarrus for continuing education courses.

“Fire service is the best job in the world!” he says. “You come to work every day not knowing the challenges you may have. It is the most rewarding career anyone could choose.” The best part of the job? “It’s the people. The people you work with, the people you meet during daily operations, and the community members you serve. It’s all about the people.”

Williams has served the Odell Volunteer Fire Department for 28 years and was recognized as the N.C. Volunteer Fire Chief of the Year in 2018. He is also a board member for the Cabarrus County Red Cross. When he isn’t serving the community, he enjoys hunting, vacationing with his family, and camping. He is married and has two daughters.