Financial Aid

VA Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

How do I begin the application process?

The first step is to submit an application for VA benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

How do I complete my VA file at Rowan-Cabarrus?

To complete your VA file with Rowan-Cabarrus, you will need to provide the Admissions Office with copies of transcripts from your high school and any college that you have attended. Make sure to complete all admission testing (Compass and/or Computer Skills). Provide copies of your application and Certificate of Eligibility letter.

Who do I contact about which benefits I qualify for?

You should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs by phone at 1-888-442-4551 or online at: Rowan-Cabarrus is not authorized to answers these questions.

Will I receive benefits if I attend on a part-time basis?

Yes, you are eligible to receive benefits. Your benefit amount will be pro-rated accordingly.

Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my major?

No, there is no limit. Be sure to contact the VA Representative at Rowan-Cabarrus when the change to the new major has been done. Be aware that changing your major may affect other sources of aid.

Must I be enrolled in a degree program to receive benefits?

You can be in a certificate, diploma, or degree program. However, only credit hours that specifically apply toward your program of study can be certified.

May I receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid during my enrollment?

Many students are eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid.

Additional frequently asked questions can be found on the Veteran Administration website – select the questions and answers tab on the left side of the page.