North Carolina Global Distinction Program
The North Carolina Global Distinction Initiative (NCGDI) is a partnership between North Carolina community colleges and UNC World View at Chapel Hill. One of the primary goals of the initiative is to enable students to develop the global competencies and skills needed for the 21st century workforce and to excel at universities that increasingly focus on global issues.
This program is open to all students. No minimum GPA or specific major is required for admission to the program.
Four Components of the Initiative
Course Work (15 credit hours)
- Successful completion = C or better final course grade in each globally intensive course.
- The complete list of globally intensive courses is available on Global Courses link.
Passport Events (8 events)
- Passport Events are Rowan-Cabarrus Community College Global Distinction program sponsored international activities such as attending special speaking engagements, cultural festivals, international music events, film screenings, etc.
- Passport Events are typically 1-2 hours in duration.
- A variety of Passport Event options will be available on multiple campus locations and in the community each semester.
- Passport Events will be announced on the Passport Events link, and through e-mail communications to all students who are participating in the program.
Global Experience (30 hours)
Students gain global experience through a minimum of thirty hours of participation in either a short-term Rowan-Cabarrus approved study abroad trip, or through a “domestic” intercultural experience (that does not require travel). There are many project options, and these can be customized for each student so the project connects to your academic and career interests. More details will be shared with students participating in the Global Distinction Program.
Before graduating, students present their overall Global Initiative work and program experience, with several students presenting during the same event (10-15 minutes per presentation). The Capstone Presentation Event is a Passport Event for other students, and a great opportunity for other students to learn more about the program and get ideas for their own program involvement!
Upon Completing the Program
- “Graduated with Global Distinction” is noted on students’ official transcript.
- Students will also receive a certificate from the Rowan-Cabarrus Community College Global Distinction program committee.
- Students may elect to wear the Scholar of Global Distinction cord at graduation.
- Completion of the graduation requirements is necessary for the distinction.