CRLA International Tutor Training Program Certification
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College Tutoring Services employs both professional and peer tutors who meet a high standard of excellence in both their educational and professional experience and who receive superb recommendations from faculty and former supervisors. Once hired, tutors will participate in the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA) International Tutor Training Program. According to CRLA.net, “CRLA’s tutor training program certification process is an internationally accepted standard of skills and training for tutors.” The certification program has been endorsed by various professional organizations, such as the Council of Learning Assistance and Developmental Education (CLADEA), National Association for Developmental Education (NADE), and the Commission XVI of the American College Personnel Association. Rowan-Cabarrus Community College Tutoring Services received the Level 1 (Regular) Certification in 2015 and the Level 2 (Advanced) Certification in 2017.
Rowan-Cabarrus tutors who participate in the extensive training for Levels 1 and 2 and complete all of the requirements are awarded a certificate that is internationally recognized and transferable to other certified colleges and universities.
In addition, during the first full week of October every year, Tutoring Services will celebrate International Tutor Appreciation Week where Rowan-Cabarrus faculty, staff, and students will be given the opportunity to thank our hard-working tutors for all that they do to support student success.
At Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, we also adhere to the Association for the Tutoring Profession’s Code of Ethics, as stated below:
- Best Interest: Tutors will be committed to acting in the best interest of tutees as specified by the employing organization or institute.
- Responsibility: Tutors will take responsibility for their own behavior and work to resolve conflicts that may arise between themselves and a client.
- Integrity: Tutors will practice and promote accuracy, honesty, and truthfulness.
- Fairness: Tutors will exercise reasonable judgement and take precautions to ensure that their potential biases, the boundaries of their competence, and the limitations of their expertise do not lead to or condone unjust practices.
- Commitment: Tutors will fulfill commitments made to learners.
- Respect for Others Rights and Dignity: Tutors will respect the dignity and worth of all people, and the rights of individuals to privacy, confidentiality and self-determination.
- Excellence: Tutors will strive to maintain excellence by continuing to improve their tutoring skills and engage in applicable professional development activities.
- Respect for Individual Differences: Tutors will respect cultural, individual, and role differences, including those based on age, sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language and socioeconomic status.
- Professionalism: Tutors will not engage in inappropriate relations with tutees.
- Confidentiality: Tutors will maintain the highest privacy standards in terms of protecting personal information relative to those whom they tutor.