Financial Aid Essentials
Frequently Asked Questions
Year Specific Forms
Unusual Enrollment History Appeal
This form is required if you have been flagged for attending more than one institution while receiving Federal Student Aid. In order to request that your financial aid eligibility be reinstated, you must appeal by completing this form. You may also be required to submit transcripts from any colleges you have attended within the past four years.
Verification of Income Information Non-Tax Filer
Fresh Start Initiative
A Fresh Start for Federal Student Loan Borrowers in default. If you are eligible for Fresh Start, you can now access federal student aid again. This may help you complete an unfinished degree, possibly making it easier to
repay your loans.
A signature page may be required from the student (and parent if dependent) in order to process a FAFSA electronically by a Financial Aid Administrator if you did not sign electronically during the application process using your FSAID and password.
Bachelor’s Degree Verification Statement
If you indicated that you will have a Bachelor’s degree by July 1 on your FAFSA or will be working on a degree beyond a Bachelor’s degree. Complete this form to verify your status.
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Students whose aid is cancelled may appeal this decision ONLY if there are extenuating circumstances (medical or personal problems). To appeal, the student must complete and return the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal form with supporting documentation to the Financial Aid Office. A student whose aid is cancelled due to Max Time frame (150% rule) must submit the Max Time Frame Appeal form and a program evaluation. You can access your program evaluation through your WebAdvisor account. All supporting documentation must be attached or the appeal form will not be accepted.
Marital Status Verification
Head of Household Filer Status Verification
This form may be requested if there is conflicting information regarding your marital status and tax filing status on your FAFSA.
If you were flagged as an inmate in a jail or prison, this information must be verified.
Dependency Override Request
Federal Verification- IRA/Pension Rollover Documentation
Victim of Identity Theft
Selective Service Documentation Requirement
All males between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register with the Selective Service. In order to receive financial aid, males must have met this requirement. Visit the Selective Service System website to learn how to register or check your registration status.
Phone: 847-688-6888 or toll-free 1-888-655-1825
Men 26 and Older who have not registered must:
If you have failed to register, you are not eligible for Title IV funds (i.e. Pell Grant). To appeal this requirement, males must submit the following information for consideration.
- For Veterans-Provide a DD214. Requirements 2,3, and 4 do not apply.
- Request a Status Information Letter from Selective Service. (This letter must be received prior to any decision being made.)
- Write a letter to the Financial Aid Office indicating why you did not register for Selective Service.
- Provide any supporting documentation if applicable.
Commonly Requested Documents and Documentation
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): Apply online and Rowan-Cabarrus will receive your information electronically.
- Tax Return Transcript and W-2s: If you did not keep a copy of your tax information contact your tax preparer or the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Dependent students must submit a copy of all tax information required on the FAFSA both student and parents. Independent students must submit a copy of all tax information required on the FAFSA both student and spouse (if married).
- Items Related to Proof of Financial Aid Independent Status: Students who are under the age of 24 may be required to submit proof of their independent status. Examples of independent proof are marriage certificate, child’s birth certificate, DD214 (U.S. military standard separation document), etc.
- Items Related to Immigration Status: If your FAFSA did not match with the Department of Homeland Security, you may be required to submit additional immigration documents. Examples, passport, resident alien card, etc.
- Selective Service: If you are required to provide proof that you registered with Selective Service, visit the Selective Service System website.
- Social Security Benefits Statement: To request a Replacement SSA-1099, visit the Social Security website.
- Social Security Card: The financial aid office may require a copy of your or your parent’s social security card.