High School Equivalency Testing
Placement Testing for Current High School Students (CCP)
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP®)
The Testing Centers have partnered with the College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP®) to offer you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know by earning qualifying scores on the various CLEP examinations.
Purpose of CLEP®
Students across the country, just like you, are earning credit for the knowledge they have gained outside of the conventional college/university classroom. Whether you are a new or existing student, you will find there are many advantages to taking the CLEP®, including the ability to:
- Earn college credit for what you already know
- Save on tuition dollars
- Test out of introductory courses
- Reduce the amount of time needed to obtain your degree or certificate
- Increase flexibility to your academic program
Cost for Taking the CLEP®
- Total Cost: $99.00 for RCCC students; $109.00 for all others
- Cost Per Exam (Paid Online): $89.00
- Proctoring Fee: $10.00 for RCCC students; $20.00 for all others
As you prepare for your CLEP® Exams, you may want to visit http://clep.collegeboard.org/exam. On this website, you have the opportunity to purchase subject-specific study guides or the Official CLEP® Study Guide which contains practice questions for all 33 exams. In addition, CLEP® provides exam details and free sample questions for each exam.
Finding Out Your College’s CLEP® Policy
Once you have chosen the exams you would like to take, you will need to contact your college’s admissions office to find out their CLEP® policy. They will be able to provide you information on what CLEP® exams they accept, as well as the number of credit hours they will award.
Rowan-Cabarrus does offer course credit for many of the CLEP® exams.
CLEP® offers the following exams:
- Financial Accounting
- Information Systems
- Introductory Business Law
- Principles of Management
- Principles of Marketing
Composition and Literature
- American Literature
- Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
- College Composition
- College Composition Modular
- English Literature
History and Social Sciences
- American Government
- History of the United States I: Early Colonization to 1877
- History of the United States II: 1865 to the Present
- Human Growth and Development
- Introduction to Educational Psychology
- Introductory Psychology
- Introductory Sociology
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Social Sciences and History
- Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
- Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present
Science and Mathematics
- College Algebra
- College Mathematics
- Natural Sciences
- French Language Levels 1 and 2
- German Language Levels 1 and 2
- Spanish Language Levels 1 and 2
Scheduling Your CLEP Exam
You will first need to register to take your exam(s) through the My Account portal on the CLEP® website. After registering for the exam, you will need to schedule your test day with the Testing Center. CLEP® testing is by appointment only. For appointment scheduling, please email the Testing Center at email@example.com and include North or South Campus in your email subject line. You can also call 704-216-7130 for testing at North Campus or 704-216-3635 for testing at South Campus. One of the Testing Center Specialists will be glad to assist you.
Please note that College Board has a 90 day waiting period to retake an exam. If you repeat an exam of the same title within three months of the initial testing date, your test administration will be considered invalid, your score will be canceled, and any test fees will be forfeited.
If you have a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking a CLEP® exam under standard conditions, you may request testing accommodations. Information about requesting testing accommodations can be found in your CLEP® My Account under How to Register for a CLEP® Exam. Contact CLEP® Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about accommodations.